Yesterday Jeff shared his presentation video “”LEARNING A LANGUAGE IN 5 MONTHS” with me. There are all very good suggestions to learn a language, not just Chinese. I think Jeff himself is the perfect person to make this case. It’s very impressived he are comfortable interating with native speaker after 5 months part-time learning. As his Chinese tutor I am so happy for him. Now I want to share this video with you guys.
1. Learning a language in 5 months
- By Jeff Lau 刘文忠
2. What this talk is about
- Why I started learning Mandarin
- My journey in the last 5 months
- Lessons I have learnt
3. Why I started learning Mandarin
- Firstly – Because I’m Chinese.
- Then – becuse I’m not Chinese.
- And lastly – not because I’m Chinese or not Chinese.
4. My story – Fluency
- 1000 characters = 90% of a newspaper
- 2000 characters = 95% of a newspaper
- 3000 characters = 99% of a newspaper
5. My story – example of Chinese sentence
- Mù qián quán guó jīng jì xíng shì hěn hǎo
- eye before whole country scriptures help shape power very good
- reading the scriptures of the past helps make the whole country very powerful
- 目前 means “currently”, 经济 means “economic”, and 形势 means “situation”.
6. My story – progression
- First month – Vocabulary
- Second month – First conversation
- Third month – 45 min conversation in 99% Chinese
- End of third month – Shanghai
- 5 months in – Comfortable basic conversation for indefinite time
7. Lessons I’ve learnt
- You need to enjoy the process of learning
- The more often you learn, the faster your learn “You don’t learn a language you get used to it”
- Tight feedback loops help you learn faster (SRS is awesome)
- Do what keeps you motivated
- Think in your target language
- Speak early, speak often